Food, Inc

Saw a news report yesterday about a new documentary about the american food system called Food, Inc.

On my way home - bumped into my building's association president - we were discussing our current big problem - our water charges take up 2/3rds of our already high building maintenance fees - and yet the water is not enough. I was very much against his suggestion that we dig another borewell... besides the environmental issue - most borewells are drying up in any case.

On a more promising note - the MoEF seems to have atleast caused some delay in approving the Gundya hydro power plant - complicated issue - because of the usual "dam" related concerns and also because it is relatively "micro" compared to other such projects - and I do believe run-of-the-river micro power plants may be a better alternative...

Food, Energy, Water - our next big three worries? conflicts? opportunities? all of them?

I am convinced it's all of them. And we all need to do something about it.

Comments

Uma said…
For politicians and big business, every conflict is an opportunity. It is the ordinary citizen like you and me who get ground underfoot in the process.

I heard about your idea of putting water meters for each flat. Superb idea! Do try and convince your building association. At least you guys make a beginning...
Anand said…
Tough proposition to convince them... but I am keeping the pressure up... let's see.